[Dnsmasq-discuss] way to inject static host wireguard ip into dnsmasq.leases untill dhcp renewal

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Thu Mar 5 21:31:55 GMT 2020

On Wed, Mar 04, 2020 at 07:54:34PM +0100, Jelle de Jong wrote:
> Hello everybody,

Hello Mailinglist subscribers, hello mailinglist archive readers,
Hoi Jelle,

> I have a setup with wireguard vpn clients that sadly need a static IP.
>
> I got a script running to detect if the host is connected.
>
> I want to tell dnsmasq the IP of the host so I can use the dns resolve of
> dnsmasq as kind of lease.
>
> Then when dnsmasq provides a DHCP IP to this host it should overwrite the IP
> again that was manually injected in dnsmasq.
>
> So I do want it to work as a IP lease but let it rotate between the last
> active IP (DHCP from dnsmasq or static IP from wireguard).
>
> Any sane way of doing this?

Frankly, I can't picture the network we are talking about.
Three or four devices are involved:
 * Server running dnsmasq being a DHCP server
 * a client on the same LAN as dnmasq
 * probably a router
 * Wireguard device being a "VPN server", presumably called "the host"

I'm lost.

Isn't this "what / where define the DNS to used by VPN client?" ?

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse