[Dnsmasq-discuss] Question

Michael michael at kmaclub.com
Sat Apr 11 00:43:25 BST 2020

On 4/10/20 2:46 PM, Dave Harrison wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I was attempting to post a question to your board.  I'm not clear if I
> was successful in logging in or not.  However, I will post the
> question to this email.  Hopefully this will be a reasonable format
> for asking the question.
>
> The question:
>
> I have configured a Raspberry Pi 4 with a LAMP stack and a Wordpress
> website.  Unfortunately after the site was successfully published, I
> realized that I was unable to access the website from the public
> side.  I was able to view the website from within my local network.
>
> I set up Port Forwarding successfully and established a static IP
> address for Raspberry Pi.  I am asking this question to determine if
> the dnsmasq application may help me solve this problem.  I realize
> there are a number of "tunneling" solutions, however I am looking for
> a solution that will allow visitors to type in the public WWW url
> address and view the website.  It is important that public visitors
> can access the website from the "normal" URL address.

DNSmasq is primarily for providing DNS responses for hosts on your local
network.   The DNS responses could be to help hosts on your network find
your LAMP stack or resolving DNS for things on the internet.  Without
it, hosts on your local network likely can only find things on the
internet, but can't find things locally by name.

You are looking to have hosts out on the internet find a host that is on
your network which is basically the reverse problem. There are two ways
you might approach this problem.

1) Register a domain with a registrar and have them host DNS records for
you.   This is probably more complication than you want to take on today.

2) Sign up with a dynamic DNS company and use a client on your local
network or your router to regularly update the DNS record at the DDNS
provider.    Then your LAMP stack could be found by others by doing to
<LAMPSTACK>@DDNS.com or something like that.   Google DDNS provider and
you can find a bunch of companies that provide this service and many are
free.   You might even see if your router directly supports one of these
providers making the integration and automatic updates easy.

Michael