[Dnsmasq-discuss] Is there a way to return an alias in preference to real host name?

Petr Menšík pemensik at redhat.com
Mon Aug 3 09:33:00 BST 2020

Hi Chris,

I think the most proper way is to change hostname of machine to
something sensible. When you do not want random hostname, give it some
name. And let it use them.

Is there reason, why you cannot change name of the device on device
itself? Have you tried to supply hostname on dhcp-record for the printer?

Default names are used in a way to prevent collisions on larger network.
If you have only few devices, give them shorter names.

Cheers,
Petr

--
Petr Menšík
Software Engineer
email: pemensik at redhat.com
PGP: DFCF908DB7C87E8E529925BC4931CA5B6C9FC5CB