[Dnsmasq-discuss] RA-acquired address not marked as 'dynamic' with 2.82

Dominik dl6er at dl6er.de
Sun Sep 6 22:30:46 BST 2020

On 04.09.20 11:46, Iain Lane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Ubuntu we started seeing failures of NetworkManager's tests when we
> updated to dnsmasq 2.82 (from the Debian package; thanks Simon for
> maintaining this). Search for 'Regex didn't match' in:
>
>   https://objectstorage.prodstack4-5.canonical.com/v1/AUTH_77e2ada1e7a84929a74ba3b87153c0ac/autopkgtest-groovy/groovy/amd64/n/network-manager/20200903_200241_5f5fd@/log.gz
>
> and you can work out after a bit of squinting that it's because the
> kernel is saying the address isn't 'dynamic' any more.
>
> I did a bit of manual testing in a VM (spawning LXD containers which get
> IPs from dnsmasq running on the host) and managed to reproduce this
> change:
>
> dnsmasq 2.81:
>     inet6 fd42:d287:488a:d7e8:216:3eff:fecb:d41b/64 scope global dynamic mngtmpaddr noprefixroute
>
> dnsmasq 2.82:
>     inet6 fd42:d287:488a:d7e8:216:3eff:fecb:d41b/64 scope global mngtmpaddr noprefixroute
>
> Was this intentional and is it actually a problem? i.e. I'm wondering if
> we should update the tests to not check for 'dynamic', or if a fix in
> dnsmasq is needed instead.

Hey Iain,

The only related difference I can see between v2.81 and v2.82 seem to be
this one:
http://thekelleys.org.uk/gitweb/?p=dnsmasq.git;a=commit;h=4d85e409cd2f4b0935d6ac5e8c72f6a151735d52

It's not clear to me when the kernel marks an address as "dynamic".
Changing the flooring of the lease time may or not have an effect here.
Would you be able to compile dnsmasq from source and check if this
behavior you observed can be triggered by going to 4d85e40 and then back
to its parent (2bd02d2)?

Best,
Dominik