[Dnsmasq-discuss] Avoid conflicts between dnsmasq and systemd-resolved.

Dominick C. Pastore dominickpastore at dcpx.org
Wed Sep 16 07:41:41 BST 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020, at 1:36 AM, Geert Stappers wrote:
> > > I was a little surprised this one worked since the previous one
> > > didn't, but I suspect systemd-resolved is falling back to the
> > > FallbackDNS servers (which are hardcoded in if not set explicitly).
>
> > What's the FallbackDNS servers and how can I find/list them?
>
> Good question.  The "hardcoded" suggest it is in source code.

Yes, that is indeed the case. I'm not aware of what those defaults are, but they can be overridden or unset. See the description of the "FallbackDNS" option here: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man5/resolved.conf.5.html

(Anyway, I'm not meaning to pull the discussion too far from Dnsmasq.)