[Dnsmasq-discuss] UEFI PXE Boot Issue: dhcp-option 60

Swanand Vaidya Swanand.Vaidya at veritas.com
Mon Dec 7 13:11:18 GMT 2020

Hi,

I am trying to PXE boot a UEFI enabled Dell machine with dnsmasq acting as both the DHCP and TFTP server.
The client and server perform the DHCP steps: DHCP Discover, DHCP Offer, DHCP Request and DHCP Ack as expected.

But, thereafter, the client simply aborts the protocol (it does not do TFTP to download the NBP file syslinux.efi and others) and I can see error:
"PXE-E21: Remote boot canceled" on the client console.

The same dnsmasq configuration works for booting a BIOS based machine.

I found that dnsmasq is sending dhcp-option 60 with value as "PXEClient" which is causing this issue.

I could not find any way to disable this from being sent to the client.

Finally, I modified the source code in rfc2131.c by adding "return" statement at the top of the function pxe_misc(). The dnsmasq binary so built now works fine for booting the UEFI machine.

I would like to know:

  1.  If this is a known issue? I tried latest 2.82 version of dnsmasq as well as building from the latest source snapshot from HEAD.
  2.  Is there any way to disable dhcp-option 60 from being sent over to the client by setting some configuration param in dnsmasq.conf? We can force certain option to be sent using dhcp-option-force directive, but there is nothing for the opposite direction to "force disable" a specific DHCP option. (Setting dhcp-option = <option_number> without a value only works for certain dhcp options).

Thanks,
-swanand