[Dnsmasq-discuss] Using cname to alias dhcp-host IDs

Arthur Wiebe arthur at artooro.com
Wed Dec 23 18:08:32 GMT 2020

>From reading the man page, and my understanding of the statement "Only one
hostname can be given in a --dhcp-host option, but aliases are possible by
using CNAMEs. (See --cname )" I've been attempting to implement this
without any success so far.

My goal is to have two names get assigned the same IP via DHCP. The purpose
of this is transitioning IPSec IDs as I have strongswan using dnsmasq to
assign static IPs to mobile clients.

In this example I would like both DEVICE_V1 and DEVICE_V2 to get the same
IP address 10.1.2.3 and my current attempted configuration is as follows.

/etc/hosts contains:

10.1.2.3 DEVICE_V1

--

dnsmasq conf file contains:

cname=DEVICE_V2,DEVICE_V1
dhcp-host=DEVICE_V1,10.1.2.3,infinite

--

I've tried variations including defining both IDs in the hosts file as
follows and adding "host-record" conf options for DEVICE_V1 but neither

So far no matter what I've tried only the ID specified in the dhcp-host
option actually gets an IP.
In the dnsmasq log I get the following message for DEVICE_V2.
client provides name: DEVICE_V2
DHCPDISCOVER(eth0) 00:11:22:33:44:55 no address available

I'd love either some clarification on how this is supposed to work or
perhaps this is a bug in dnsmasq 2.80?