[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq config in set-top box

Dirk Fieldhouse fieldhouse at gmx.net
Tue Dec 29 14:39:13 GMT 2020

In an ageing set-top box, the supplier has configured this dnsmasq as a
caching DNS proxy:

# /usr/bin/dnsmasq --version
Dnsmasq version 2.56  Copyright (c) 2000-2011 Simon Kelley
Compile time options IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus no-I18N no-DHCP TFTP

First of all I'll point out, in case it's of interest, that the
manufacturer did not provide the dnsmasq source, configuration and build
tools in their GPL download site
(<https://uk.humaxdigital.com/open-source/>, enable JS, select HDR-Fox
T2, eg). The latest release of firmware containing dnsmasq was in
September 2016 but it is still available for download
<https://me.humaxdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2016/09/HDR-FOXT2_1_03_12.zip>.

As to functionality, the configuration file has:

strict-order
listen-address=127.0.0.1
# DNS and TFTP only
no-dhcp-interface=eth0
no-dhcp-interface=wlan0

In v2.56, would the 'strict-order' option apply equally to a
'resolv-file', if it were specified, as to /etc/resolv.conf? Or in other
versions? The current manual page doesn't say.

Secondly, I've built 2.82-2-ga2a7e04 from github for the platform
(Compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus no-UBus no-i18n no-IDN
no-DHCP no-Lua TFTP no-conntrack no-ipset no-auth no-DNSSEC loop-detect
inotify no-dumpfile). Would this version behave differently in any
significant way (other than being twice as big)?

/df

--
London SW6
UK