[Dnsmasq-discuss] Secondary/tertiary dns servers in dhcp offers?

Al Hooton al@hootons.org
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 17:02:58 -0800

Simon,

>You could use teo indpendent instances as backups if they have identical
>copies of /etc/hosts and you wer'e using DHCP (see below about DHCP.)

    OK, so here's a strange question (I'm sure this is a Bad Idea (tm) for
any number of reasons, some of which I think I can see, but I want to get an
expert opinion): What about using nfs to mount /etc/resolve.conf  and the
leases file from the primary on to the secondary, and rely on nfs locking to
keep accesses serialized?   Yes, I realize there are issues that I'll have
to address (other stuff in /etc, known problems/races with nfslock, etc.).
I'm just curious if anybody as done something like this?

>Each fits it's own niche though and I have to resist the temptation to grow
>dnsmasq until it becomes an unholy replication of the ISC daemons.

    Yes, I  *completely* agree!  I've managed bind/dhcpd nets before, and
explicitly decided that I didn't want that pain for my small, two-subnet,
home network.  I'm not at all suggesting dnsmasq be made more complex, that
would be a mistake IMHO.  I'm just pushing at the edges a bit, to see where
they are.  I am *very* happy living within the sensible boundaries of the
dnsmasq system!

    Thanks again for a great piece of code...

-Al