[Dnsmasq-discuss] resolution of local (DynDNS-) domain name

Jochen Schulz jrschulz@web.de
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:28:48 +0100

Hi there,

I'm having a little trouble getting dnsmasq (v2.17-1 from Debian
testing) to return either the public or the private IP of my router when
queried for the local domain name (I'd prefer the public IP but I am not
sure whether that would be "correct").

I have a dial-in router (blackbox from SMC) which knows upstream DNS
servers and I have a small server (hostname debris) which announces
itself as the local DNS server via DHCP to the clients on the network.
dnsmasq on this server is configured to query the router for non-local
addresses:

/etc/dnsmasq.conf
|no-resolv
|server=192.168.6.1      # my router
|local=/localnet/wasteland.homelinux.net/
|expand-hosts
|domain=wasteland.homelinux.net
|dhcp-option=3,192.168.6.1
|dhcp-option=6,192.168.6.3
|dhcp-authoritative
|# ... rest of DHCP configuration snipped

My /etc/hosts contains only entries for the nodes with fixed addresses:
|127.0.0.1      localhost
|192.168.6.1    router        router.wasteland.homelinux.net
|192.168.6.3    debris        debris.wasteland.homelinux.net

Resolution of the  DHCP clients' names (qualified and unqualified) works
fine, but dnsmasq obviously doesn't ask the router when queried for the
local domain name itself:

|debris: $ host wasteland.homelinux.net localhost
|Using domain server:
|Name: localhost
|Address: 127.0.0.1#53
|Aliases:
|
|Host wasteland.homelinux.net not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

|debris: $ host wasteland.homelinux.net router
|Using domain server:
|Name: router
|Address: 192.168.6.1#53
|Aliases:
|
|wasteland.homelinux.net has address 80.171.7.62

I am not sure whether this is actually a problem with dnsmasq. The
output of 'hostname' is confusing me:

|debris $ hostname
|debris.wasteland.homelinux.net

|debris $ hostname --fqdn
|debris

I think it should be the other way round, but I have no idea what I have
done wrong. I am prepared for hits with your cluebats.

J.
--
I'm being paid to act weirdly.
[Agree]   [Disagree]