[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS to respond to all requests

Harry Newman HNewman@authentium.com
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:09:10 -0500

Simon

Thanks for the info this is working just great for the A record queries. =

Is there a way to do the same for MX queries.

Thanks

Harry

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Kelley [mailto:simon@thekelleys.org.uk]
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 3:50 PM
To: Harry Newman
Cc: dnsmasq-discuss@lists.thekelleys.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS to respond to all requests

Harry Newman wrote:
> Hi All
>=20
> Just getting started with dnsmasq and Linux itself. So if there is a
> solution to my problem I may need a bit of explanation.
>=20
> I have a simple computer network set up that is not connected to the
> outside world at all. This is for testing purposes only. I would like
> dnsmasq to respond to any dns request with a random response. This
> should appear to be valid but random.
>=20
> Can this be done with script or setup files or do I have to go in and
> modify the code itself.
>=20
> Thanks in advance for the help,
>=20
> Harry

If you add

address=3D/#/1.2.3.4

to /etc/dnsmasq.conf then dnsmasq will always return 1.2.3.4 to any A
record DNS query which cannot be answered from the hosts file or DHCP
leases. That's not exactly what you asked for, (it's not "any dns=20
request" and the answer isn't random) but it might be enough for the=20
testing you want to do.

In case anyone is wondering, this rather strange feature was added to=20
help people making public wireless access points, which want to=20
intercept any web page accesses and point them to a registration page=20
for new users.

HTH

Simon.