[Dnsmasq-discuss] Name resolution bug.

Simon Kelley simon@thekelleys.org.uk
Sun, 09 Jan 2005 22:22:08 +0000

Harding, Tyson wrote:

> I can work around this by setting local=/.hxxxxx.etowns.net/ but it
> seems like the check should recognize the difference between
> myhost1.hxxxxx.etowns.net and myhost1.t2hxxxxx.etowns.net without
> requiring the additional . at the front of the local domain name.
>
> If it was designed to work this way, I apologize, and might recommend a
> note about local-only domains always starting with a .

The code simply checks if the rightmost chararacters in the domain name
match the filter. Periods are not special. Saying that it was "designed
like that" would be a bit strong, nevertheless is does allow a few
possibilities which wouldn't work if whole labels had to match, and a
change now might break existing configs, so I won't do that.

I will update the example in the man page for the next release. to make
things clearer.

Thanks for the feedback.