[Dnsmasq-discuss] how to stop inappropriate appending of localnet?

GrantC grant_nospam@dodo.com.au
Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:23:28 +1100

Hi there,

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 00:07:41 -0500, you wrote:

>This may help... not sure, though, it's late... ;)
>
>http://www.boyce.us/windows/tipcontent.asp?ID=154

It confirms what I found earlier on msft site -- msft recommend
turning off the client DNS service when operating with non-msft
DNS.  The service is on by default...  Client DHCP good for msft
boxen, DNS service bad, unless you run msft domain controller.

Just for the record...

Querying DNS Servers:
  http://tinyurl.com/5s6rs

How to Disable Client-Side DNS Caching:
  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318803

To flush and reset a client resolver cache:
  http://tinyurl.com/6dvob

Today I've reinstalled my firewall box onto a smaller hard drive,
copied over some of my old startup, firewall and dnsmasq setups
and this is me back on the 'net:  slackware-current, 10.1 beta.

Such a pleasant change from chasing msft fixes.

Cheers,
Grant.