[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: Recursive warning ...

C.Lee Taylor leet@leenx.co.za
Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:16:12 +0200

Greetings ...

	Sorry for the delay, been away ...

Simon Kelley wrote:
> C.Lee Taylor wrote:
>>     That is why I was asking for more levels of reporting, with more
>> info in the reports, so that I could try and track down why a query is
>> freaking out.  If I knew what the query was and where it came from, I
>> might be able to figure why it's happening ...
> There's a really great tool for getting a handle on this sort of stuff
> without adding lots of logging to every daemon: ethereal. Define the
> capture filter to only grab DNS (port 53) traffic and then use the
> display filters to find the packets that are showing the problems. You
> can then see as much detail as you need. I've used it lots and it's
> really handy.
	Will have to look at this, but does make for extra tools on a box with
the problem, but I do understand. Thanks.

> For the recursive warning stuff, I've made the following changes:
> 1) No longer throw away replies which trigger the recursive warning,
> instead log them and use them as normal.
> 2) Only log a warning once per nameserver unless log-query mode is in
> effect.
>
> Let me know if you'd like a copy of the latest test code.
	Thanks, but I will wait until the next release ... Compiling and
testing is not really my cup of tea ...

Mailed
Lee