[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: Recursive Warning

"O. Wölfelschneider" dnsmasq@teratronik.com
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:15:15 +0100

I'm replying on an old archive entry, message number 000141

Simon Kelley wrote:
 > It means that the nameserver is returning empty replies with the
 > "recursion available" bit the header set to zero. It would be
 > interesting to know under what circumstances this occurs (other than the
 > obvious, a server which is configured not to do recursion.)

I found out more about the problem, but not enough to fix it.
Unfortunately I can not get my hands directly on the system.

Dnsmasq is running on linux inside a small geode based embedded PC.
The PC in turn is hooked up to some Zyxel cable router serviced by
Time Warner in some part of the US. The user couldn't get DNS to
work on the PC in that setup.
Even though there's a sshd (dropbear) inside the PC, I couldn't
talk anyone in opening up the router so I could log onto the
system.

My boss decided to replace dnsmasq by bind+dhcpd. IMHO this is not
a real a fix, as bind simply asks a root server if the forwarder
fails.
I'd rather go and find the reason, but I can't...

Greetings,
  Olav

--
This list is spammed. In order to reply by direct mail, insert
"mail." without the quotes after the @