[Dnsmasq-discuss] bad dhcp-host because of mac-address?

Daniel Link stagger@gmx.net
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:05:38 +0100

> A possible gotcha is that on FreeBSD the config file resides, by
> default, in /usr/local/etc/dnsmasq.conf. The reason for this I don't
> understand, the FBSD porter wanted it like that.

I think the reason is that it's not software included in the base
distribution, but from the ports collection, and it's installed by the
admin himself. I like the way FreeBSD does things, because they stick
closer to standards than, for example, sloppy Linux systems.

Have a look at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

"The /usr/local hierarchy is for use by the system administrator when
installing software locally. It needs to be safe from being overwritten
when the system software is updated."

Daniel