[Dnsmasq-discuss] Dnsmasq and PPTP

Simon Kelley simon@thekelleys.org.uk
Fri, 06 May 2005 11:29:26 +0100

Dale DeJager wrote:
> I have PPTP working successfully with connectivity to/from the LAN, but
> I have a question relating to network name resolution:
>
> As configured I cannot get the PPTP session to assign a DNS suffix (also
> called DNS domain name) to the client PPTP connectoid. This means that
> simple references to a computer on the LAN (such as \\computer1) do not
> resolve. One work around for this is to put the suffix in the PPTP
> connectoid in the "DNS Suffix for this connection" field on the advanced
> TCP/IP DNS properties sheet. However, it is much easier and more
> flexible if the suffix can be assigned automatically when the connection
> is established in the same way that it is provided via DHCP for a LAN
> connection.
>
> I do have expand-hosts set and the domain set in the .conf file and it
> appears that the DNS server is working properly.  I'm just trying to
> figure out how to automate the setting of the DNS Suffix at the time the
> connection is established.

If you set domain to be '#' , ie

domain=#

then dnsmasq will use the value in the "search" field  in
/etc/resolv.conf as the domain. You will need to restart dnsmasq to make
it re-read this. If PPTP is copying the domain into /etc/resolv.conf,
thena that's an easy solution.

> Related to the above, I observe the following syslog error message twice
> during each PPTP session establishment:
>
> May  5 23:07:15 Router daemon.warn dnsmasq[1715]: DHCP request for
> unsupported hardware type (8) recieved on ppp1
>
> It seems as if the client is trying to ask for DHCP information via the
> PPTP session, but the request is being rejected by the dnsmasq server.

hardware type 8 is Appletalk, so unless you want to connect via
Appletalk as well as IP, you should probably ignore this....