[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS-only On Interface

Simon Kelley simon@thekelleys.org.uk
Fri, 27 May 2005 16:44:14 +0100

Adam Sherman wrote:
> This post:
>
> http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/
> 2005q2/000259.html
>
> Asks about allowing DNS-only on certain interfaces. There is one very
> good reason for this feature, it would allow for use in VPN  situations.
> For example, my VPN runs on tun interfaces and having  dnsmasq listen
> there would allow lookups on  dhcpname.location.private.domain to work.
> Very cool!
>
> Just trying to encourage this feature... :-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> A.

OK, I'm convinced.

I added a new option, "no-dhcp-interface", which is like
"except-interface" but only disables DHCP. That's the best
backward-compatible scheme I could create.

so now you can do

interface=eth0,tun0
no-dhcp-interface=tun0

and have DNS on both, but DHCP only on eth0.

in http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq-test/dnsmasq-2.23test7.tar.gz

now.