[Dnsmasq-discuss] Missing DHCPNAKs

Gyorgy Farkas farkas.mailbox at freemail.hu
Mon Aug 15 10:43:08 BST 2005

Dan Shechter <DanS at GoNetworks.com> wrote:

> Yes.
> Not as command line option, but as a dnsmasq.conf
directive....
> Also, a quick look at the code in the rfc2131.c:185 should
clearly
> show you how there's simply no code to handle this situation.

Are you sure?

I'm using dnsmasq-2.20 with 'dhcp-authoritative' option in
wired environments.
It seems the problem of "roaming" PCs is managed fairly well
by dnsmasq.
When a mobile Windows PC comes from another network,
and its DHCP client sends  *broadcast*  REQUEST(s)
then dnsmasq correctly responds with NAK.
The NAK packet contains an adequate error message too (DHCP
option code 56)
eg. "address not available" or "wrong network" (see above in
rfc2131.c).

Although your DHCP server is authoritative
...it's still possible that ... won't send a DHCPNAK in
response to some queries...
/ See also at
http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/dhcp/authoritative.php /

As you've already read ;-) the whole sitution is not
crystal-clear in each case.
Could you tell some exact details about your one please?

What about a "simple" - well, maybe not too comfortable -
client side solution?
You should configure those Windows machines (and you could -
I think)
to automatically release all DHCP lease information at shutdown.

Good luck and happy dnsmasqing,
George

PS. I'm awfully sorry those incidental double and/or
crossposting(s).