[Dnsmasq-discuss] blocking adservers

curby . curby.public at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 10:55:11 BST 2005

I have been playing with adserver blocking with dnsmasq (see
http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/index.php)

I have tried both a hosts file of the form

127.0.0.1 007arcadegames.com
127.0.0.1 101order.com
127.0.0.1 123banners.com
127.0.0.1 123found.com
[snip]

with addn-hosts=/etc/hosts.adservers

and a configuration file of the form

address=/007arcadegames.com/127.0.0.1
address=/101order.com/127.0.0.1
address=/123banners.com/127.0.0.1
address=/123found.com/127.0.0.1
[snip]

with conf-file=/etc/dnsmasq.adservers.conf

I have two questions:

Whereas http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2004q4/000077.html
tells us that /etc/hosts addresses don't count against the cache size
as defined by --cache-size, do addresses defined by the address
configuration directive count against the cache size?

Secondly, when ad servers are defined using address directives,
dnsmasq seems to redirect a lot more ad requests to localhost than
when using a hosts file.  Is this because hosts files match more
strictly than address directives? (Perhaps ads.example.com wouldn't
match an example.com hosts entry or something similar?)

Aside from these questions, I've found that dnsmasq is very easy to
set up.  Anything to keep me away from having to use BIND is wonderful
in itself! Thanks for the great program.