[Dnsmasq-discuss] Specifying boot options for specific type of hardware.

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Aug 22 12:27:33 BST 2005

> Ummm... I'm not very much convinced about that.  In my installation,
> dnsmasq provides both, BOOTP _and_ DHCP.  I can't see any reason _not_
> to provide dynamic adresses to BOOTP hosts.  The client will accept any
> address provided by the server.  So where's the problem?

It's correct that dnsmasq provides both BOOTP and DHCP. I guess I never
thought about why BOOTP can't do dynamic addresses before - no BOOTP
server I know about does. How about this: BOOTP has no notion of lease
times and lease renewal or expiry, so any address allocated by BOOTP
would have to have an infinite lease and be lost for ever from the pool
of allocatable addresses. There's therefore a big danger that you would
eventually run out of dynamically allocatable addresses.