[Dnsmasq-discuss] dns resolving for static ips?

Jens Holze yodahome at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 23 12:39:39 GMT 2005

Hi!

I've been using dnsmasq for some time at home and at work but there's
one thing I recently tried and wondered whether it is possible at all.

dnsmasq can resolve any host it has served with an ip via dhcp. But
can I even have hosts resolved that have a static ip and don't use
dhcp? I have one host (it's a virtual server) in my /etc/hosts with
static ip (dhcp is not usable because the virtual relies on the hard
ip) but it is not resolved by dnsmasq. And I don't want to setup bind
for this. Could I add the server to the leases file manually (very
dirty I know)?

What do I have to do?

Thanks in advance!

Jens