[Dnsmasq-discuss] CNAME lookup going to wrong server

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sun Jan 15 15:11:17 GMT 2006

Marcus Better wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have configured dnsmasq with a "server" directive to forward queries
> for better.se to an internal name server. Now if I have
>
>   www.better.se   CNAME   www.example.org
>
> and a client queries dnsmasq for www.better.se, then it looks to me like
> dnsmasq first asks the internal name server for www.better.se, and then
> asks it again for www.example.org. a

That's not quite what happens: an A query for www.better.se will go to
your internal nameserver, which will return the information that
www.better.se is a CNAME for www.example.org, and no information about
www.example.org. Since this is a perfectly valid answer (It's fine to
have a CNAME point to a domain which exists, but has no information for
a partcicular RR-type) then no second query will every be made.

> The problem is that www.example.org is not in the better.se domain, and
> the internal name server for better.se will not answer recursive queries
> for example.org.

The only way to make this work would be to configure your internal
nameserver to answer recursive queries.

> If dnsmasq were to follow the "server" directive, the queries for
> example.org would be sent to the default recursive name servers, and not
> to my internal server.

It would, but no such query ever gets made.

> Is this intended behaviour or a bug?

Difficult to classify it as either. I know of no sane way to change
dnsmasq to fix it.