[Dnsmasq-discuss] How to configure routing via DHCP?

Dirk Schenkewitz schenkewitz at docomolab-euro.com
Thu Feb 2 20:11:43 GMT 2006

Hi All,

this is not especially dnsmasq-related, only "also" :-) - but I don't know a
better place to ask about DHCP options than here. :-)

For a PC that moves between 3 networks, I thought it would be nice to
configure some basic routing via DHCP. I found a list of DHCP-options and
option 33 ("Static Route") seems to be suitable, but I didn't find how to use
it - the comment states "static routing table", but not how that should look
like.

So, my questions are:

- Can anybody tell me how to configure routing via DHCP, with an example?

When correctly set up, 'route' shows my routing table as follows:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
link-local      *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth0
10.0.0.0        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 eth0
loopback        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
default         10.1.1.223      0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
The important line (and the one that does not work automatically now) is the
last line.

- Does anybody know a link to a good documentation of the DHCP options
(preferably with examples!)?
That is, other than dnsmasq.conf, which is IMHO very good (for me, a few short
examples work better than a detailed & complicated (or too short)
description), but dnsmasq.conf does not mention option 33. :P

- And to get it on-topic: I don't have to worry about dnsmasq not supporting
this, do I? ;-)

Best regards & TIA for all help and hints
  Dirk