[Dnsmasq-discuss] vendorclass

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Feb 22 21:30:43 GMT 2006

Dirk Stichling wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have the following problem:
> My DHCP-client has a two stage boot procedure. During the first stage it
> sends a BOOTP-Request with no vendorclass. During the second stage it
> sends another BOOTP-Request with a vendorclass (containing the word
> box). During the first stage dnsmasq shall answer with a bootfile
> "u-boot" und during the second stage it shall answer with a bootfile
> "kernel".
> I tried different configurations, e.g.:
>
> dhcp-vendorclass=kernel,box
> dhcp-boot=u-boot,niagara
> dhcp-boot=net:kernel,kernel,niagara
>
> But dnsmasq always sends u-boot.
>
> Is there a way to configure my scenario?
>
> Thanks,
> Dirk

If your client is doing DHCP, that should work fine, but your mention of
"BOOTP-Request" might imply that one or both of these interactions might
  BOOTP, and not DHCP. If so, the vendorclass facility is not enabled
for BOOTP.

Please could you clarify if we are talking about DHCP or BOOTP here (If
you are not sure, then check your logs, dnsmasq logs BOOTP and DHCP
differently.)