[Dnsmasq-discuss] Execute external commands on DHCP lease allocation / deallocation

Fabio Muzzi liste at kurgan.org
Sun Apr 23 17:56:53 BST 2006

Hello dnsmasq-discuss,

  Hi everyone.

  I  have  just  subscribed to this list. I have read through the archives
  and found that I'm not the first to ask for some sort of external script
  execution on DHCP leases status changes.

  I'm  trying  to  set up a network for a hotel, which will allow for free
  access,  but  needs  authentication  and  logging  because  italian  law
  requires  the  owner  of  the network to log every activity and identify
  customers (yes, we live in some sort of "1984" nightmare).

  Anyway,  I absolutely need a DHCP server that runs some script when DHCP
  leases  are  handed out to clients and when they expire, to allow for my
  firewall rules to be dynamically modified.

  Ideally,  the script should get the ip address and MAC address passed as
  parameters from the DHCP server, so I can create firewall rules based on
  the IP/MAC pairs.

  I  have  looked  for such a feature in the DHCP server I know about, but
  found nothing even in the full-featured ISC DHCP server v3.

  Since  I am an happy user of Dnsmasq in over 20 installations, I thought
  "Hey,  why  not  asking  for  such  a  feature to be added in this great
  software?"

--

  Fabio "Kurgan" Muzzi