[Dnsmasq-discuss] Execute external commands on DHCP lease allocation / deallocation

Holger Schletz holger.schletz at web.de
Tue Apr 25 10:36:13 BST 2006

Hi,

What about an external script which monitors the lease/log file? This would
come around the permission problems because the script could be equipped with
all necessary privileges (even root, if necessary) while dnsmasq still runs
with minimal privileges.

The notification about disconnecting clients is difficult to achieve on the
DHCP level, since DHCP has no logout mechanism. You could set a short lease
time and assume disconnection if a lease is not renewed after a given
timeout.

Greetings,
Holger