[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq on Solaris 10 anyone?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu May 4 17:17:29 BST 2006

Thomas Maschutznig wrote:
> I read in the FAQs that Solaris support in dnsmasq has most likely
> ceased to exist and, indeed, I cannot get a recent dnsmasq release to
> compile on Solaris 10 x86 using gcc 3.3.2.
>
> What is the status of Solaris support at the moment? I was wondering if
> anyone has been working on that, got a patch or any ideas how I could
> get dnsmasq to run.

It would be possible, but non-trivial, to make it run. Dnsmasq has a lot
more OS-dependent code in to that it used to in the days when it last
worked on Solaris, because doing DHCP is inherently OS-dependent.

However I don't have access to a Solaris box, so even if it were to be
made to work, it's fairly likely that the port would fail again in a few
releases, through lack of testing.

Basically, to be viable, you need a Solaris maintainer who is commited
to doing the port, and then keeping it up-to-date goinf forward.