[Dnsmasq-discuss] (v2.31/Mac OS X) Not listening for DNS requests

Doug Fields dfields-dnsmasq at pexicom.com
Thu May 11 17:41:24 BST 2006

Hello all,

I successfully built and installed DNSmasq 2.31 on an Intel Mac mini
running 10.4.6 using GCC 4.0.1. (I can't say it works because there
is no regression test module.) I reconfigured the Makefile and
config.h to put all files it uses into /opt/dnsmasq-2.31 or a
symlink /opt/dnsmasq to keep everything highly localized. I use the
provided Mac OS X startup scripts which runs the application with the
command line arguments "-d -n".

It executes just fine, but does not seem to listen for DNS requests.
Indeed, it seems not to even open the port, nor to write any error
messages about it. Here's an lsof, with regular files and pipes
removed for brevity:

COMMAND  PID USER   FD     TYPE    DEVICE SIZE/OFF     NODE NAME
dnsmasq 8836 root    4u    IPv4 0x34a1680      0t0      UDP *:bootps
dnsmasq 8836 root    5u    IPv4 0x38b9e10      0t0     ICMP *:*
dnsmasq 8836 root   11u    IPv4 0x34a2ba0      0t0      UDP *:50145

(bootps is port 67)

As you can see, there's no listening for port 53. "netstat" also
confirms this, neither TCP nor UDP. I have confirmed that the built-
in "firewall" is off, but I suppose it's possible that the "System
Preferences" application is lying about that, somehow. Even if it
were, though, the application should still be listening/opening a
socket, even if the ipfw is dropping packets.

Does anyone happen to have any thoughts as to how to get this to
work? I see nothing relevant in /var/log files.

The non-blank, non-comment lines from my configuration file are
reproduced below.

(I haven't yet tested the DHCP portion... I would in fact like to
disable it until after I get DNS working, but it tells me that "en0"
is not a recognized interface when I use the appropriate option. I
can't figure out how to disable DHCP entirely.)

Thanks for this neat program... It does exactly what I need, should I
get it to work.

Many thanks,

Doug

domain-needed
bogus-priv
resolv-file=/opt/dnsmasq/etc/resolv.conf
server=/pexicom.com/65.98.93.57
server=/puresend.com/65.98.93.57
user=dfields
group=dfields
dhcp-range=phone,172.16.2.129,172.16.2.191,255.255.252.0,2h
dhcp-range=computer,172.16.3.193,172.16.3.250,255.255.252.0,2h
dhcp-host=00:04:13:23:*:*,net:phone
dhcp-option=3,172.16.0.1
dhcp-option=42,0.0.0.0
dhcp-option=19,0           # option ip-forwarding off
dhcp-option=44,0.0.0.0     # set netbios-over-TCP/IP nameserver(s)
aka WINS server(s)
dhcp-option=45,0.0.0.0     # netbios datagram distribution server
dhcp-option=46,8           # netbios node type
dhcp-option=47             # empty netbios scope.
dhcp-leasefile=/opt/dnsmasq/etc/dnsmasq.leases
dhcp-authoritative
local-ttl=30
alias=38.98.102.190,172.16.2.1
alias=38.98.102.189,172.16.1.189