[Dnsmasq-discuss] need help configuring my site (ok simple questions from a slow witted admin)

cecil thornhill cthornhill at juggernit.com
Wed May 24 01:57:18 BST 2006

First of all – thanks for the wonderful tool. As far as I can see
dnsmasq is a lot lighter and easier than bind9 – which makes my head
hurt just thinking about it.

I have what I suspect is a simple question, but I'd like to get this right and can not find a clean simple explanation, though I suspect my situation is common.

I have a small network at home I use to do some development and testing of software tools for clients. I have not set up a DNS service at home as I have not needed one until recently. I have a NAT firewall that servers DHCP, and since my network is small I mostly use fixed IP addresses for the 5 to 6 PC's on my local net. My systems use NAT addresses like 192.168.0.10, and of course each server/PC is named.

I do own a few real domains. I am running a web server for one of my domains at home (a personal domain) and I have the fixed IP address of my router/firewall forwarded from my registrar to my router. The router points to the Linux server with the web server on it. I have a few Microsoft XP Pro systems at home and they are on an MS Domain served by SMB also hosted on the same system the web server is on.

My personal domain is juggernit.com. I would like the PC's behind the firewall in my home network to appear to be on a sub-domain like home.juggernit.com Other than that, I don't need much in the way of DNS services, so as you can see bind9 is way overkill. I only need to use a few features of dnsmasq. Eventually I would like to test some mail servers behind the firewall, and I may eventually move to providing a real DNS server for myself, but for now, I just want to configure the simple case.

As far as I can see I only need a few config lines in dnsmasq.conf. I am just not sure of the form for the lines (I may be slow at this...sorry). Here are the lines I think I would need based on reading your documents:

# I don't think this hurts and might help some situations
filterwin2k

# I suspect I want this to be done in order
strict-order

# I think I want this to allow the dnsmask server to use its own servicesbut don't #know the correct form of the argumant (what I put in place of localnet)
server=/localnet/192.168.0.1

# I am confident I need this but don't know the form of the argument
local=/localnet/

# my local webserver for my real domain
address=/juggernit.com/127.0.0.10

# use my one interface card in the server
interface=eth0

# I don't need DHCP from the dnsmasq deamon
no-dhcp-interface=

# I think I might want this but am not sure of the format of the argument
expand-hosts

# I want this domain, I may need to add regular juggernit.com too?
domain=home.juggernit.com

Could someone give me some examples or help to get the config correct. Thanks in advance for the help.

Cecil Thornhill