[Dnsmasq-discuss] logging support

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Jun 26 14:46:59 BST 2006

Joe Landman wrote:
> Hi folks:
>
>   Been trying to set up dnsmasq to log to either /var/log/messages or
> create a new entry in /etc/syslog.conf to log things to.  This is mainly
> for debugging purposes.
>
>   When I turn on the log-queries option and restart with the
> /etc/init.d/dnsmasq shell script, I don't see any logging going out to
> the /var/log/messages, or other service logs.  This is with 2.32 on a
> Centos4.3 machine.
>
>   Note:  I can see the logs when I run it in the foreground by hand.
> Any thoughts?  Thanks.

The messages get sent to the sylog dameon, so where they end up depends
on how that is configured. Your best bet is probably to use the dnsmasq
"log-facility" switch to send the messages to one of the "local"
facilities (local0, local1 etc) and then configure syslog to put those
in a log file. The default, if you don't do that, is to log to the
daemon facility except when running in debug mode, when local0 is used.

HTH