[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: [squid-users] squid dns problem

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Tue Jul 11 19:24:38 BST 2006

dny wrote:
> On 7/6/06, Henrik Nordstrom <henrik at henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
>> ons 2006-07-05 klockan 18:08 +0700 skrev dny:
>> > i have this weird problem with squid on a  clean install ipcop 1.4.10
>> >
>> > there are lots of website give out error:
>> > The dnsserver returned:
>> >     No DNS records
>> >
>> > ping to the domain from ipcop box gives unknown host error.
>> >
>> > but, when i ping the domain name from client pc, it gives out good
>> reply.
>> > and when i disable the proxy, the website opened up fine.
>>
>> Most likely the two is using different DNS servers. The one used by the
>> clients working, but the one used by Squid & ipcop broken...
>> check /etc/resolv.conf.
>>
>> Regards
>> Henrik

> /etc/resolv.conf only have one ip, that is 127.0.0.1
> because it's using dnsmasq to resolve the domain name.
>
> restarting the ipcop will fix the problem for few hours.
> then it occurs again...
>
> i think maybe the problem is with dnsmasq not powerful enough on a busy
> proxy?
>
> i'm adding my isp dns into /etc/resolv.conf and we'll see if problem
> fixed or not....
>
> rgds,
> dny
>
> --- http://bloglines.com/public/bacaan --- harini udah baca blom?

at first I didn't pay attention to this thread but I'm seeing something
similar.  Originally I was pointing my name servers to Comcast name
servers and I was resolving about one site in five.  Then some friends
gave me permission to use their name servers and I'm now missing one
site in 10-20.  There seems to be something load or time sensitive in
how dnsmasq interacts with its upstream name server.  it appears that
when things go wrong, packets get dropped and there is no chance of
recovery.  I tried turning off negative caching but that didn't help
any.  If memory serves it made things worse but I need to verify that.

--- eric