[Dnsmasq-discuss] hosts on multiple networks

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Jul 21 16:40:21 BST 2006

lx at survive-linux.com wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> i am searching for an solution to provide an host with different
> interfaces on different networks
> with different name solution depending on the origin of request.
>
> e.g.
>
> dnsmasq runs on an host having
>
> eth0 10.2.0.1
>
> eth1 10.2.5.1
>
> eth2 10.2.10.1
>
> my server has also 3 internal nics
>
> eth0 10.2.0.8
>
> eth1 10.2.5.8
>
> eth2 10.2.10.8
>
> now it is important to me that
>
> e.g. host1 (10.2.0.152) makes an request for the ip of server1.home.lan
> and should  get then 10.2.0.8
> if wirlesshost1 (10.2.5.76) makes an request for the ip of
> server1.home.lan  and should  get then 10.2.5.8
>
> Is that possible, and if how?
>
> I would really love an solution with dnsmasq ;)

It's there: see the "localise-queries" flag. The only thing you have
make sure is that you use the correct address for the DNS server.

Host 10.2.0.152 will get 10.2.0.8 for server1.home.lan _as_long_as it
uses 10.2.0.1 as the address of its nameserver. If it uses one of the
other addresses of the server, it will get a different answer.

HTH