[Dnsmasq-discuss] Nonroot problem

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Aug 25 11:55:01 BST 2006

Edson wrote:
> I just coimpile the 2.33 version on my SuSE 9.0 box and it runs ok... as
> root… but when I try to use the parameters ‘-u’ and ‘-g’ to change the
> execution to ‘dnsmasq’ user and ‘dnsmasq’ group, that I created to run
> this software peace, I see the message “failed to access
> /etc/ppp/resolv.conf: Permission denied” on syslog.

Probably because /etc/ppp/resolv.conf is no readable by user/group
"dnsmasq" - often is doesn't have "all" read permission.

> When I start a command line execution with “dnsmasq –u dnsmasq –g
> dnsmasq –x /var/run/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.pid” the message appears on syslog,
> but if I execute “dnsmasq –u dnsmasq –g dnsmasq –x
> /var/run/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.pid -d” (note the “-d”) it works…

in "-d" mode, the chnage of user/group is suppressed, so dnsmasq is
still running as root.

> Is this a knowing behavior or a bug? What am I doing wrong?

Try finsing the user which owns /etc/ppp/resolv.conf and telling dnsmasq
to change to that user..

HTH

Simon.