[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq will not start on Bering-uClibc 2.3

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Oct 11 16:39:26 BST 2006

James Neave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using dnsmasq 2.27 Rev 3 on a Bering-uClibc 2.3 box and we're having
> problems with the daemon not starting.
>
> I've attached all the (I hope) relevant information to the end of this
> email.
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> James.
>
> *****
>
> The error message is:
>
> -----
>
> Starting caching dns forwarder: dnsmasq: failed to find list of
> interfaces: Cannot assign requested address
>
> The command failed.  Usually this is due to an
> error in the configuration file.
>
> *****
>
> /etc/network/interfaces
>
> -----
>
> # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for LEAF network
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> 	address 195.173.198.98
> 	netmask 255.255.255.240
> 	broadcast 195.173.198.111
> 	gateway 195.173.198.97
> 	up ip addr add 195.173.198.107/28 dev eth0 label eth0:SIS.com
> 	up ip addr add 195.173.198.108/28 dev eth0 label eth0:SG.com
> 	up ip addr add 195.173.198.106/28 dev eth0 label eth0:PTP.FTP

The wacky multiple-addresses on one interface stuff is quite likely to
be the problem. Does the problem go away if you remove these? The code
for this is completely re-written in later versions, partly to better
support this sort of config, so upgrading to the latest release (2.33)
is the best first step.

I suspect that upgrading will fix things, but let me known how you get
on: if it's still broken, I'll debug the 2.33 code.

HTH