[Dnsmasq-discuss] I can do a lookup but can't ping...

Nick Deubert ndeubert at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 18:06:20 BST 2006

Hi All,
Forgive me this is probably a stupid question and there is something
I'm missing in the setup, but I looked through the FAQ and browse the
recent threads in the mailing list for something similar and didn't
find what I was looking for. Now, I only want to use dnsmasq for DNS
and not DHCP for a small network. So, I installed dnsmasq and kept the
default config file, made sure my /etc/hosts file had everything I
needed in it and started up dnsmasq. Then added my new dns server's ip
to the list of static dns servers on my router(linksys WRT54G) and
rebooted my client machine. On my client machine then my
/etc/resolv.conf has the ip of my new dns server first, and I can do:
$ host <some random machine name that was in my /etc/hosts> and it
looks up fine. I can even do a reverse lookup fine. However, I cannot
ping or ssh to the machine via the hostname. I did verify that host is
getting the ip from the right place by stopping dnsmasq on the server
and witnessing it no longer resolving from the client. What am I
missing?
Thanks,
Nick