[Dnsmasq-discuss] v2.34 on Openbsd 4.0 not responding to DHCP (DNS works).

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Oct 19 09:25:07 BST 2006

Jeb Campbell wrote:
> This is on openbsd 4.0 (not "officially" out yet), so that could be the
> problem.
>
> I am compiling w/ gcc option -Os, but I think I also tried w/ no
> optimizations.
>
> This is exactly the problem I had before (2.32 I think), where DNS works
> great, but DHCP does not respond.
>
> I tested on the command line w/ dnsmasq -d, and it prints nothing when I
> know requests are coming in (tcpdump).
>
> Anyway, I can firm up what versions of Openbsd, dnsmasq, and options
> work, but I thought I would through this out there and see if anyone
> knows anything.

Given only that information, the obvious thing to check is packet-filter
rules: the safest thing to do is leave alone anything to or from ports
67 and 68, with any source and destination addresses _including_broadcast_.

If that doesn't fix it, I'm happy to look further: I have a test
installation of FreeBSD, but my OpenBSD image has bit-rotted. I guess an
new 4.0-on-qemu install is the way to go.