[Dnsmasq-discuss] Problem when WinXP firewall is activated (does not reply to ping)

Raphaël HUCK raphael.huck at efixo.com
Fri Dec 1 15:07:06 GMT 2006

There is a problem when the firewall of Windows XP is activated, as it
does not reply to ping, and dnsmasq checks with ping whether an IP
address is already attributed before giving it to someone.

As Windows XP doesn't reply to ping when its firewall is activated,
dnsmasq thinks the address isn't in use, and gives it to someone else.

On the other hand, Windows XP still replies to arping (even when the
firewall is activated).

So maybe it would be a good idea to check with arping if ping doesn't
yield a reply.

Someone already talked about using arping instead of ping (but not about
this issue with Windows XP):
http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2006q3/000847.html

The reply was that ping was used instead of arping because it was routed.

But for example when using dnsmasq in a SOHO, there is a high
probability that a Windows XP will be connected to it.

So I think this is really an issue. Anyway, I'm gonna have a look into
it, and maybe will come up with a patch.

--Raphael HUCK