[Dnsmasq-discuss] Multiple host names (CNAME-ish behavior)

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Fri Dec 22 20:32:59 GMT 2006

I found this post in the archives:

http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2006q4/000942.html

But it doesn't solve my issue.

I'd like to be able to assign aliases to hostnames in dhcp.  So, if I have a
machine that registers itself as host1, I then want to be able to do lookups
with the names host2, host3, etc.  Kind of like an /etc/hosts file, but
instead of an IP column it has a "actual host name" column.  The post to
which I linked above requires the machine to have a static IP, and I want to
avoid that if possible, even if I'm only "binding" to the MAC and doing
static DHCP.

Any way to do this?

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111