[Dnsmasq-discuss] No problems!

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Jan 5 14:59:18 GMT 2007

PO wrote:
> Just wanted to say thanks for such a great package. I ran the bind
> daemon for a while with cached serves taking about 30 ms each. Dnsmasq
> clocks consistently at 1 ms from the cache.
> And I don't have an outward facing open port anymore!
>
> Any idea how large of a network it'll handle before performance starts
> to drop?

Too many variables to tell. The first thing that breaks is normally the
limit of the total number of outstanding DNS requests. When that happens
depends on how fast and reliable the upstream servers are as well is the
incoming query rate.

Older versions of dnsmasq would spit out nasty log messages about
"forwarding table overflow" when this happened. The latest release both
allows you to increase the limit (--dns-forward-max) and handles hitting
the limit much more gracefully (it throttles incoming queries, rather
than dropping them.)