[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNSmasq on a VPS instead of bind

Carl marsepein at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 19:22:33 GMT 2007

Is dnsmasq faster than bind, does it use less memory than named/bind
in this config? :

The only static and long-lasting config I need is:

- I need a caching nameserver, forwarding DNS requests
to 3 external IP-addresses of nameservers I may use to resolve with.
I've read the config entries, but where do I set those 3 ?

- The server with dnsmasq on it is also web and mail-server for
several domainnames.
Where do I set this so that they go to the internal box instead of outside
and then inside again or something?

- The server is directly connected to the internet. (I do use iptables
and some other firewall thingies, but that is no problem for me.) I
just mention this so you know my two NICs on the server have WAN
IP-addresses. No LAN, no NAT.
How does that work, regarding DNSmasq config ?

- All domain names and their A records and MX records I control with
DNS elsewhere, like at zoneedit, godaddy, transip etc. so DNSmasq does
not have to deal with any of that.

That's it. I need no more.
Is dnsmasq a smart choice in this case? Or should I stick with bind?

Thanks in advance!

Carl