[Dnsmasq-discuss] Multiple MAC addresses for a single IP

Pedro Côrte-Real pedro at pedrocr.net
Wed Jan 24 02:54:42 GMT 2007

I use dnsmasq on my opernwrt router and my standard linux server. Both
serve IPs to my laptop that has both wireless and wired interfaces. I
wanted to receive the same IP on both interfaces so I added both mac
addresses with the same IP to /etc/ethers. Dnsmasq doesn't like this
and ignores one of them.

I used to do this with dhcpd and it should be perfectly valid. The
only problem is what happens if for some reason both mac addresses ask
for an IP. In that case it would be good to be able to force the
previous lease to end. This can only happen when changing between
wireless and wired. The older lease shouldn't be in use anymore.

Any reason why this isn't implemented like this?

Greetings,

Pedro.