[Dnsmasq-discuss] Feature Request: Support for RFC 2855 (DHCP for IEEE1394)

Karl Svec karlsvec at iastate.edu
Wed Jan 24 21:54:58 GMT 2007

Hello all,

It would be nice to see support for RFC 2855 (DHCP for IEEE1394) implemented in dnsmasq's DHCP
server. Information about the protocol can be found here:

http://rfc.net/rfc2855.html

The main advantage I can see to adding this feature is that it would allow for connection sharing
options under Linux/*BSD/etc that is on par with Mac OS X and Windows. One could also share an
internet connection with, for example, a firewire-enabled Windows or Mac OS X laptop.

I also have a personal interest in seeing this implemented, as I'm trying to build a Linux audio cluster
using firewire ethernet, and am currently only able to use static IP addresses.

RFC 2855 support is in the works for dhcpcd, so this paired with dnsmasq's dhcp server could open up
some easily configurable, interesting possibilities (think: firewire-based video/audio renderfarms, a fast
network layer for small clusters, etc.).

Is this feasible? Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Karl Svec