[Dnsmasq-discuss] Pointers for Local DNS?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Jan 29 22:54:57 GMT 2007

Jon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm sure this has been covered in great detail already, but despite
> crawling through the mailing list and reading the FAQ, I can't get it
> work work.
>
> If I understand correctly, DNSMasq is capable of returning entries in
> /etc/hosts for DNS queries. I'd like to put the names and IPs of a few
> virtual machines on my network into my /etc/hosts file and have my
> Windows clients be able to access them by those names.
>
> Try as I might, I cannot get it to work. I must be missing something
> quite obvious.
>
> A sample /etc/hosts entry that I'm using simply looks like this:
>
> 10.0.50.41 <http://10.0.50.41> mapmachine
>
> I then restart DNSMasq and I see from the syslog that it reads the
> /etc/hosts file. I then re-acquire an IP address on the Windows Client
> (served from a DHCP server located on the same box as DNSMasq, but
> DNSMasq is not the DHCP server)

This is your problem: the DHCP server tells the Windows Client where to
find it's nameservers. If you use dnsmasq as the DHCP server it will get
this right automagically, in this case you are going to have to find out
how to change the configuration of your chosen DHCP server to send the
correct value for the address of the DNS server. (Or you could use
dnsmasq for DHCP too, and get the benefit of automagic.)

and attempt to ping, nslookup, and dig
> the names. Requests time out and nslookup shows that the requests are
> being sent up the my ISPs nameservers.
>
> While I don't expect anyone to hand hold me on an issue that has likely
> been solved numerous times, I'm hoping that someone will point me in the
> right direction.

HTH

Simon.