[Dnsmasq-discuss] Two dnsmasq servers connected by a VPN

Rune Kock rune.kock at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 16:14:16 GMT 2007

On 2/2/07, Pedro Côrte-Real <pedro at pedrocr.net> wrote:
> I have a VPN permanently connected between two sites. It's a routed
> one, so each network has its own subnet. There's a dnsmasq server on
> each side doing DNS and DHCP. The problem is that I want laptops to
> have the same network name independent of which side they're in.

Does any other machines need to find the laptops in DNS?  If the
laptops are strictly clients only, then you don't really need to get a
DNS-solution working.

If you really want DNS to work, I would suggest some kind of dynamic
DNS solution.  Either using dyndns.org or your own DNS-server (not
dnsmasq).  If your laptops run windows, this might work automatically
with an MS DNS server.

Alternatively, I believe that you can set up dnsmasq at site 1 to
forward all dhcp and dns-requests to the dnsmasq running at site 2.
But then I guess that site 1 becomes unusable if the VNP goes down.