[Dnsmasq-discuss] Re: transfer of dnsmasq.leases file

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Feb 7 16:55:48 GMT 2007

AJ Weber wrote:
> I'm probably going to "move" my dnsmasq install from one server to another.
>
> Will this work:
> 1) Shutdown/kill dnsmasq on current server;
> 2) Copy dnsmasq.leases file from current server to "correct location" on target/new server;
> 3) Startup dnsmasq on new server.
>
> Will this effectively keep the existing leases "fresh" and known to dnsmasq's name-service?

Yes, that's what you need to do.

The leasefile contains absolute timestamps, so make sure that the clocks
on the two servers are reasonably synchronised. A few minutes won't
matter, but if the clock on your new server is days ahead of the old one
then the first thing that happens when you start dnsmasq will be that it
 expires all the leases and deletes them :-)