[Dnsmasq-discuss] SMTP server DNS resolution

Fri Feb 9 17:40:33 GMT 2007

Edson wrote:
> Then try this approach:
>
> Internet <-> OpenDNS <-> [DNSmasq<->SMTP+SAMBA]
>                  \-----> DNSMasq <->LAN

This is not what I want, but your graphical representation helped to
clarify what I *do* want. The main point is, I do NOT want my smtp
server to use the OpenDNS servers for its cache misses. I want it to
only use the authoritative root servers.

So:

OpenDNS servers

        DNSMasqCache/Forwarders1 \             / - Samba/LAN
                                  -- DNSMasq --
        DNSMasqCache/Forwarders2 /             \ - SMTP server

Internet Root Servers

It would be cool if I could simply tell DNSMasq to use one
cache/forwarders for all requests coming in from a specific local IP
address, and a *different* cache/forwarders for all other requests.

Unless it is already possible to do this with DNSMasq right now with
just one instance, then it makes the most sense to just run two separate
instances, as you suggested (but making the SMTP server being the one on
its own, and letting the Samba/LAN share one).

Thanks for helping me clarify how to do this.

--

Best regards,

Charles