[Dnsmasq-discuss] strange tftp error message

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sun Feb 11 21:06:41 GMT 2007

Gerald Dachs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I get this strange error message:
> Feb 11 21:20:06 DiskStation daemon.err dnsmasq[3810]: TFTP error 0 TFTP Aborted received from 192.168.99.5
> Feb 11 21:20:06 DiskStation daemon.err dnsmasq[3810]: TFTP failed sending /opt/tftpboot/pxelinux.0 to 192.168.99.5
>
> This happens when I boot a thin client via pxe from
> a powerpc based NAS. It is only strange that I get
> an error message at all, because it works just great.

I have a PXE ROM which does the same thing: I don't know why. Looking at
the packet traces, the PXE client starts the TFTP transfer with the
tsize option, gets the size of the file, and then sends error 0. It then
starts a new transfer, without requesting tsize, and allows that to
complete.

I'm pretty sure that my implementation of tsize is OK, since PXELinux,
(the next stage of the bootstrap) uses tsize and doesn't see any
problems. Maybe it's a PXE workaround for a broken server somewhere.

Executive summary.

1) It's the PXE ROM, not dnsmasq.
2) It's known about.
3) It's harmless.