[Dnsmasq-discuss] Mask a domain

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Mon Mar 19 13:49:56 GMT 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Davide Ferrari wrote:
> So what's happening now? Since I have expand-hosts in dnsmasq, sub.domain.tld
> is appended to every DNS request and, if not found, forwarded to mainstream
> DNS servers, that obviously always answer with an IP (there is the wildcard,
> now).
> So, what's the best way to solve this in dnsmasq's realm, if is there a way to
> solve this?

  As long as there's nothing legitimate/critical on that IP address (I hope
not, for your sake), you could use --bogus-nxdomain:

-B, --bogus-nxdomain=<ipaddr>
       Transform replies which contain the IP address  given  into  "No
       such  domain"  replies. This is intended to counteract a devious
       move made by  Verisign  in  September  2003  when  they  started
       returning  the address of an advertising web page in response to
       queries for unregistered names, instead of the correct  NXDOMAIN
       response. This option tells dnsmasq to fake the correct response
       when it sees this behaviour. As at  Sept  2003  the  IP  address
       being returned by Verisign is 64.94.110.11

  Which reminds me, my upstream ISP at home (Charter Communications)
started doing this same thing.  I should add that to my configuration.

      Jima