[Dnsmasq-discuss] Logging and OpenDNS ...

Clinton Lee Taylor clintonlee.taylor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 09:09:35 BST 2007

Greetings ...

 First, thanks to Simon and all the other helps of dnsmasq ... Okay, now
that I have buttered up the developers ... |-)

 Logging, I'm sure Simon will remember me, because I'm always asking about
logging, seeing that I can never get it to work in deamon mode ...

 We have had some changes in our ADSL network in SA, our monoply Telco has
gone and changed things, without letting us know, which was a pain for a me
and having to go and change all the forwarding DNS servers ...

 So, now my questions and ideas ... First, I understand that dnsmasq
forwards queries to all the forwarding DNS servers and then uses the first
returned ... Now, with Telkom taking down a DNS server or changing it (
196.25.1.1 ) ... So, clients were not able to access alot of the net ...

Now:
 1. What errors might I have seen?
 2. Is it possible to detect these errors and correct for them?
 3. If one has many DNS forwarders, does this increase internet traffic
much?
 4. Would using OpenDNS (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) and strick-order be
better with local DNS servers just a thrid and forward backup?

 Again, thanks for a great program that really saves me time, traffic and a
lot of headaces ...

Thanks
Mailed
Lee